Most of the time Avast Antivirus can help you prevent any viruses or malware from infecting your computer, but you must know how to disable Avast when the processings get too heavy. As of today, you must have heard of Avast Antivirus. As one of the most used antiviruses now, Avast is developed for many different types of devices. From Windows PC to Mac, Avast is available to offer the protection service from malicious viruses or malware.
Just like any other antiviruses, Avast provides a Disable button in case the user wants to disable its service. In addition to Windows Defender and the other built-in antiviruses, another antivirus, like Avast, can often confuse the Windows system. Aside from that, Avast often takes up a lot of memory and CPU usage when an update is available. With the Avast service set on the computer startup, your computer will likely experience slow performance.
Aside from the slow performance, Avast also does not allow you to install several important things properly. When it comes to external programs, Avast places tight security around them. It has become unfortunate whenever a user wishes to update the drivers, install a program and other external programs which do not exist originally on the Windows or Mac system. The antivirus will either ban the program completely or not recognize the software for license problems. If you meet this issue during software installation, you can simply disable Avast temporarily. In case the problem keeps repeating itself, you can disable the antivirus completely.
Disabling Avast Temporarily
When it comes to methods on how to disable Avast, every computer or mobile device user must have any worries during the process. A lot of time, users confuse the disabling option with uninstallation. In any events, must not worry for disabling Avast temporarily for it only takes a while for it to enable it. Take the temporarily disable option as the turn off of a switch and you can let down the burden of disabling Avast immediately.
In order to disable Avast temporarily, you must follow these steps below.
- Find the Avast icon on the right corner of your Windows taskbar. Right-click on the Avast icon and it will display a list of options to choose.
- In case you do not see the Avast icon on your taskbar, click on the small arrow. It will display the icons of hidden applications on your taskbar.
- Choose the option “Avast shields control” from the list. Select the time frame you wish to apply for the Avast disabling period. Once you set the time frame, Avast will turn back on as soon as the limit comes to a pass.
- Soon after, you will see a window appear. It will have a notification which generally refers to the confirmation of your actions.
- Select Yes to confirm the Disable option.
- At last, the Avast service will be disabled. You may install or updates every single one of Windows programs which needs to be updated.
Disabling Avast Specific Shields Temporarily
If you wish to be more selective in processing Avast disabling option, then you can perform this method. While turning off every shield of Avast can be quite effective, you can also try to select specific shields to maintain the security of your device. In addition, to temporarily disable option, you can also choose specific shields you want to disable temporarily on Avast. In doing so, you will lower the risk of high CPU usage while maintaining the security all at once.
To perform the specific Turn Off method on certain Avast shields, follow the steps below.
- Head to the main Avast user interface. Find the Protection tab, then select Core Shields.
- You can try another way by going to the Settings from the Avast main interface. Look for the option ‘Components’. Within the tab, you will see every single one of Avast shields. File System Shield, Behavior Shield, Mail Shield, and Web Shield are the shields listed on Avast interface.
- Consider which Avast shield you wish to turn off and click on the switch.
- Soon after, four options will appear on your screen. You can stop the shield for 10 minutes, 1 hour, until computer restart, or permanently. Proceed with the time frame you prefer and click on it.
- Once the shield has been disabled, you will see the switch turns to ‘OFF‘. Furthermore, the main Avast window will turn to yellow with the notification ‘File Shield is now off‘.
- You can turn the shield back on by switching the button to ‘ON’. Once the ‘ON’ button is clicked, you will be notified with a message saying ‘You’re protected‘.
Disable Avast Antivirus Completely
Disabling Avast temporarily may solve some problems, but it may not work for some computers. Sometimes the method on ‘how to disable Avast temporarily’ only works if the issue surrounds it is mostly based on the failed software installation. By disabling the antivirus temporarily, you will get to install or update a Windows software again.
When it comes to high CPU usage, disabling Avast temporarily often does not solve the problem. Just like Service Host Superfetch and KMode Exception Not Handled issues, you need to treat the high CPU usage issue caused by Avast immediately. In case the high CPU usage issue keeps occurring, then you may choose to uninstall Avast Antivirus completely. Consider this as the last way out to fix the continuous error on your device. To do so, you can simply choose the “Uninstall” option from the Windows start menu. Alternatively, you can look for the uninstall option from the Avast program itself.
As an antivirus, Avast has offered a great protection service to your device. In most occasions, the service can prevent a lot of malicious threats from entering your device core system. On the other hand, Avast antivirus can sometimes block the installation of certain software. In case this situation happens to your device, then you can disable Avast temporarily. If you wish to maintain the security at some parts, then you can disable certain shields and keep the rest of the shields on. As the last choice, you can uninstall Avast completely if the antivirus behaves abnormally all the time.