If you use Avast antivirus to protect your computer, then you should know how to disable Avast when needed. As one of the most used antiviruses today, Avast Antivirus has everything you need to protect your computer. Aside from computer brands, Avast also provides a protection service for mobile devices. Whether you use Windows PC or Mac, Avast will readily give you the excellent protection service from malicious viruses or malware.
Similarly to any other antiviruses, Avast is also equipped with a Disable button. This button can make great use in case you wish to disable its service. Since there are a lot of antiviruses within one computer, the system often confuses the processing of one and another. In return, Avast often takes up a lot of memory and CPU usage when it processes an update. Not only the Avast program but the computer startup can also cause a computer slow performance if continuously performing updates.
Other than causing slow performance, Avast antivirus updates often interfere with other Windows programs’ updates. If you wish to install third-party programs, Avast can potentially recognize them as viruses. This type of issue often happens because Avast has a strict policy against files of certain types. In doing its work, Avast will either ban the program completely due to the file type. Other than that, Avast simply does not recognize the software because of its license problems. In case you meet this issue when installing a third-party program, you can opt to disable Avast temporarily. If Avast keeps acting up, then you can disable it completely.
Table of Contents
Disable Avast Temporarily
If you wish to disable Avast, you can simply do it easily without having to consider the consequences. Except for a few minutes of unprotected system, you will not have to worry about the damage it will be done. Once you finish with your business, you can enable Avast back after the temporary disabling. In a way, you can consider the temporarily disable option as the turn off of a switch. Avast temporarily disables option will not cause any harm to your computer.
If you wish to disable Avast temporarily, you can follow the steps below.
- Look for the Avast icon on the right corner of the Windows taskbar.
- Afterward, right-click on the Avast icon and you can see a list of options there.
- If there is no Avast icon on your taskbar, click on the small arrow. Soon after you will see the icons of hidden applications on the Windows taskbar.
- Select the option “Avast shields control” from the list. Set the time frame for the Avast disabling period. When the time has come to pass, Avast antivirus will be turned back on automatically.
- Once the time ends, a window will appear shortly. It will have a notification in which you can confirm the actions you want to take.
- Choose “Yes” to confirm the Avast temporary disable.
- Finally, the Avast service will be disabled temporarily.
Disable Avast Specific Shields Temporarily
Other than disabling Avast temporarily altogether, you can choose to turn off specific shields instead. If you wish to keep Avast protections in several sectors, you can choose this method. The result will fairly similar to the Avast temporary disable option. If you do this, you can lower the risk of high CPU usage while maintaining the protection of your computer all at once.
In order to disable Avast specific shields temporarily, you can follow these steps below.
- Go to the main Avast user interface first.
- Look for the Protection tab, then select Core Shields.
- Alternatively, you can go to the Settings from the Avast main interface.
- Locate the option ‘Components’. Once you get in, you will see every single one of Avast shields. File System Shield, Behavior Shield, Mail Shield, and Web Shield are the shields listed on Avast interface.
- Select which Avast shield you wish to turn off and click on the switch.
- Four options will appear on your screen shortly. There will be options of the time frame of temporary shield disable, which are 10 minutes, 1 hour, until computer restart, or permanently. Select the time frame you prefer and click on it.
- Once the shield has been disabled, you will see the switch turns to ‘OFF‘.
- You can also see the main Avast window turns to yellow with the notification ‘File Shield is now off‘.
- If you want to turn the shield back on, you can simply turn the switch back ‘ON’. After you click the ‘ON’ button, a message saying ‘You’re protected‘ will appear.
Disable Avast Antivirus Completely
Despite the higher risk of disabling Avast completely, you can simply disable Avast completely to prevent conflicts during software installations. Sometimes the method on ‘how to disable Avast temporarily’ only works if the problem only revolves around failed software installation. If you disable Avast antivirus completely, you can install or update a Windows software or other third-party programs again.
If Avast antivirus causes high CPU usage issue, then disabling Avast temporarily may not solve the problem. Similarly to Windows Modules Installer Worker and WMI Provider Host which cause high CPU usage, you will need to take actions regarding Avast as soon as possible. If the high CPU usage issue keeps occurring, then you can uninstall Avast Antivirus completely. Take this as the last method to fix the continuous high CPU usage issue on your computer. If you choose to do it, you can simply choose the “Uninstall” option from the Windows start menu.
Avast antivirus provides a great protection service for a lot of devices. Just like any other antiviruses, Avast is also equipped with a Disable button. This button can make great use in case you wish to disable its service. Since there are a lot of antiviruses within one computer, the system often confuses the processing of one and another. This type of issue often happens because Avast has a strict policy against files of certain types. In doing its work, Avast will either ban the program completely due to the file type. Other than that, Avast simply does not recognize the software because of its license problems.
To avoid these problems, you can simply disable Avast temporarily. Other than that, you can also turn off specific shields of Avast as well. If the problem keeps occurring, you can disable Avast completely and turn it back on once you finish with your business.