If your web browser on Windows PC cannot open web pages due to the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error, then you need to fix it. This type of error is often caused by the clashes of updates and the misconfiguration of the internet network. Other than that, some of the outdated Windows drivers can also contribute to this error as well. If you wish to fix the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error, then you must know what causes it first before performing the method to fix the problem.
When the server DNS cannot be found, then the browser in your Windows PC will not be able to resolve a website’s IP address. In return, you will not be able to open a web page from your browser. Since DNS server is essential to open a web page, then the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error will prevent you from accessing any web pages. With the server DNS missing, then the web browser cannot identify the IP addresses. In other words, the web browser will fail to operate the lookup of the IP addresses. For the time being, you cannot open any web pages from the browser on your Windows PC.
Table of Contents
- 1 Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found
- 2 Methods to Fix “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” Error
Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found
If you see a notification like this on your browser, then the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error currently prevents you from browsing through your browser.
This site can't be reached outlook.com's server DNS address could not be found Try: Checking the connection Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration Running Connectivity Diagnostics ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
Along with the notification, you can see the option to troubleshoot the error. In the form of the Windows diagnostics tool, the system can also automatically analyze the error with the DNS server. If you want a quick fix, then you can simply click on the Windows diagnostics button and see if it can find the problem.
Keep in mind to do several things below to make sure the repairing process works.
- Always clear your browser’s Caches and Cookies when a DNS server problem occurs.
- Make sure to remove any unnecessary Chrome extensions which may cause the problem.
- Check whether the Windows Firewall performing some updates which may prevent your browser, like Chrome, accessing the internet.
- Check whether or not the internet network works properly.
In case none of the things above cause the error, then you can check out the methods to fix the “Server DNS Address Could not Be Found” issue below.
Methods to Fix “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” Error
Similarly to “DNS server unavailable” error, the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error may need several things to check first before you perform the repairing methods. If the problem involves a DNS server, then you should make sure to check the internet connection first. In case the internet network works finely, then the problem may come from the system. Try to follow the methods below and see if one of them works for you.
Editing the Windows Host file
When the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error occurs, then you must look within the system to see if something goes wrong. In order to fix the problem quickly, you can edit the Windows host file. Follow the steps below to perform this method.
- Open a quick Windows search by pressing Window and Q buttons.
- On the opened window, type in Notepad. Then, you can right-click on it and choose “Run as administrator”.
- Afterward, click File then select Open.
- Then, head to the location: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- On the file type, you can select “All Files”.
- Afterward, select hosts file and click Open.
- A window will appear shortly. There, you can delete all the host files after the # sign.
- Afterward, you can save the changes and close the window.
- Finally, restart your Windows PC to apply the changes.
Using Chrome Cleanup Tool
If you want a quick fix to the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error, you can try to use Chrome Cleanup Tool. Performing the official Google Chrome Cleanup Tool can help you remove the error in the software which may cause the problem. If you find the problems with Chrome, such as crashes, unusual startup pages or toolbars, unnecessary ads, you can use the Chrome Cleanup Tool to fix them all. In case the cleaning tool does not work out to fix the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error, then you can reinstall the Chrome Browser.
Reinstalling Chrome Bowser
In case your Chrome browser experiences the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error, you can try to reinstall it. In order to do that, you can follow the steps below.
- You can press the Windows and X buttons and select the option “Control Panel” afterward.
- Proceed to uninstall a program under the Programs tab.
- Afterward, you can locate the program “Google Chrome”.
- Proceed to right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
- Find your way to the path: C:\Users\%your_name%\AppData\Local\Google\ and proceed to erase the entire thing in the folder.
- Afterward, you can reboot your PC to save changes.
- Once the computer turns back on, you can open the other browsers in your Windows PC.
- Download Chrome from the browser you open.
- Wait until the downloading process finishes and install it at once.
- At last, you can restart your Windows PC.
Disabling the Proxy Settings
In case the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error keeps occurring, then you can disable the proxy settings. To make this work, then you can follow the steps below.
- Open the Run box by pressing Windows and R buttons.
- Once the Run box appears, you can type in msconfig and click OK to continue.
- Afterward, find the boot tab and select it.
- Then, you can go ahead and choose the Safe Boot.
- Click Apply and OK to continue.
- Afterward, you can restart your PC to continue.
- When the PC turns back on, you can press Windows and R buttons.
- Once the Run box appears again, you can type in inetcpl.cpl.
- Press OK afterward and open internet properties.
- On the new window, you can select the option “Connections”.
- Proceed to uncheck the box next to “Use a proxy server for your LAN“. Afterward, you can click OK.
- On the Run box, type in msconfig and uncheck “Safe boot” option. You can click apply and OK to save the changes.
- At last, restart your PC and access Google Chrome again to see if the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error is gone.
Clearing Internal DNS Cache
- First, you can open Google Chrome and then go to Incognito Mode.
- Afterward, type in chrome://net-internals/#dns and press Enter.
- At last, you can select the option “Clear host cache” and restart the Chrome browser.
Flushing DNS and Resetting TCP/IP
- First thing you can do is to right-click on the Windows Button.
- Afterward, you can select the option “Command Prompt (Admin).“
- Type the following command on the Command Prompt window and press Enter after each one.
ipconfig /release ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew ipconfig settings
3. Once again, you can open the Command Prompt and type the following command. Press Enter after each one.
ipconfig /flushdns nbtstat –r netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset
4. At last, reboot your computer to apply changes.
Once the computer turns back on, you can check whether or not the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” is fixed.
Using Google DNS
If the DNS server on your Windows PC cannot be found, then you can try to use Google DNS. In exchange for the problematic DNS server, Google DNS can work just as well for you.
- First, open the Windows Control Panel and select the section “Network and Internet”.
- Afterward, you can select the section “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Proceed to select “Change adapter settings”.
- There, you can select the Wifi connection your PC is connected to.
- Double click on the said Wifi and select Properties.
- Afterward, you can select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- Check the mark next to “Use the following DNS server addresses” and type the Preferred DNS server: 220.127.116.11 and Alternate DNS server: 18.104.22.168 afterward.
- Close the windows you have opened and see if the “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error disappears from your Chrome browser.
Resetting Internet Settings
- Open the Run box by pressing Windows and R buttons.
- Once the Run box appears, you can type in inetcpl.cpl and press Enter to open Internet Properties.
- On the Internet Settings window, find the Advanced tab and select it.
- Proceed to click on the Reset button and the browser will begin the reset process.
- Then, you can open Chrome. Head to the Settings at once.
- Look for the option “Show Advanced settings” and click on it.
- You can find the option “Reset settings” there. Click on it at once.
- At last, you can reboot the Windows 10 PC and check if the ” Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error is fixed.